10 Song “Memories”

10 Sep

My SIL (Mama Cassie) has been trying to get me to start Monday Listicles. I have been working hard on getting my page updated. Cassie was chosen by Stasha herself to choose this weeks topic, so I thought that I would give this a try.

10 Song “Memories”

1. The year I was born 1983: Faithfully” By: Journey. Journey is one of my favorite artists. Their music is great, compared to what is out there these days. Journey is so old school that it doesn’t matter how old I get, I still listen to their music.

2. My little sister Emily & I used to ride on the vaccum and run around the house while our mom was cleaning when we were younger to We Built This City” By: Jefferson Starship. Yes, I said ride on the vaccum. This was one of our favorite things we did as kids.

3. The song my mother used to sing to me as a child: My Favorite Things” By: Maria (The Sound Of Music Soundtrack) I remember like it was yesterday. The sound of her gentle yet blissful pitch, the softness in her voice, whenever I was going to bed, or just down and out she would sooth me by singing this song.

4. Another song that was sang around the house during cleaning was, Sara” By: Jefferson Starship. I remember my mom always having a beautiful voice when she sang. I always loved hearing her sing this one.

5. Graduating Class of 2001, Pearce High School Richardson, Texas, pep-rallies we always sang: Build Me Up Buttercup” By: The Foundations. When this song came on it the whole gymnasium would go crazy and sing this song. I miss these times of high school.

6. The longest commitment I have had the honor and pleasure of is joining the United States Army. I deployed to Iraq in 2004-2005 and still to this day I get all teary eyed when I hear. GOD Bless the USA” By: Lee Greenwood. I will keep this short, but the day I had to say good-bye to my dad, seeing him cry, not knowing what was ahead of me or if I was coming home was the hardest moment in my life so far. This song makes me respect what America is all about & what I fight for.

7. The second song pertaining to my military career, hitting deep to my Texas roots is American Soldier” By: Toby Keith. This song was played as I walked back on to the parade field returning from my first deployment to Iraq. I spotted my dad right away and when released gave him the biggest hug I could have ever given him. As his only daughter returning home from war at 21 years old I’m sure he was relieved for me to be home.

8. While I was in Iraq 2004-2005, I was out on the airfield that we were building, I was tieing rebar constructing the support structure before we started pouring in the concrete, we had the AFN (American Military supported radio) on. A song that my dad used to sing in the car came on, The Joker” By: Steve Miller Band came on. This made me miss home so much, this made me miss my dad. Given everything that man has done for me in my life, I missed him more than I ever had. The next time I had the chance I gave him a call and told him that when that song came on, I started acting like a crazy loon, singing and dancing to that song. He just sat there for a minute, and then told me he loved me and missed my crazy little butt so much.

9. Because I love me some country music, Carrie Underwood is one of my favorite songs artists. Her music has inspired me but I am that person that can tell a story by music. I can’t write and I can barely remember all the words to songs, but if one touches me the most it would have to be Wheel Of The World, this one is extra special to me. When Ashley’s dad, the late Rev. Ronald Skidmore, passed away, I wanted more than anything to sing this song at his funeral. But knowing that I would not be able to keep my composure or the words to the song, I didn’t. This song has taught me that no matter what is happening to someone, GOD has the plan. When Ron finally passes away last year, the song that kept playing in my head was this song and in my car. I still cry when I hear this song, he was a fan of Carrie’s too.

10. The day I got married I woke up with all my girls in the house and was laying in bed just thinking about what needed to happen that day, so that everything would run smoothly. My mom flew in from Arizona to be there on my special day. As I laid in bed that morning I turned on the TV to CMT (Country Music Television) and Carrie Underwood’s “Mama” came on right as my mom was crawling in bed with me to speak her encouraging words of wisdom. This song had me in tears yet again just because I was marrying my best friend later that day and how happy my mom was for me. As I tried to gather myself all I could think about is how this song was relevant to my wedding day with my mom being there with me.

I really thank everyone in my life for giving me these wonderful memories to 10 songs.  I thought this would have been harder than it was.  Thank you Mama Cassie for getting me involved in Monday Listicles. .

Check out what next weeks Monday Listicles are!  I hope you join in on the fun!

Love Life, Come as you are.

About these ads

25 Responses to “10 Song “Memories””

1. MamaCassie September 10, 2012 at 9:15 am #

Great list, sis! God Bless the USA is one of my all time favorite songs ever too. Always gets me teary, especially during the fireworks on July 4th :) XOXO Thanks for joining the Listicles with me!

• Jenn I Am! September 10, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Thank you, sis! I told you I went deep. Thank you for choosing a great topic to write about! I can’t wait for next weeks Monday Listicles topic!

• MamaCassie September 10, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Stasha posted it today in the post you liked with. 10 Things Wedding. :) We got this one too ;)

• Jenn I Am! September 10, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I hear ya on this one! I wonder if this one is going to be hard to just post 10 wedding things. We will see!

2. Stacie @ Snaps and Bits September 10, 2012 at 9:31 am #

We Built This City is totally an awesome song! I love how you tied your memories into your list.

• Jenn I Am! September 10, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Thank you Stacie. I still get all excited to hear We Built This City, when it comes on the radio. Which is not that offten. Thank goodness for iHeartRadio & being able to create your own stations. That’s about the only way I get to listen to it!

3. euregirlsandboys September 10, 2012 at 10:37 am #

I listened to Build Me Up Buttercup with one of my high school friends so often – love that song! And I spent yesterday afternoon on the couch singing along to the Sound of Music :)

• Jenn I Am! September 10, 2012 at 10:40 am #

That’s great to know that Build me Up Buttercup was a popular high school song. Where & when did you attend high school? Were you singing the sound track to Sound of Music to your kids? Do they like the songs? Thanks for the comment

4. Bridget (@twinisms) September 10, 2012 at 11:08 am #

We Built This City is a great song. We didn’t ride the vacuum cleaner to it, but we always sang along!

• Jenn I Am! September 10, 2012 at 11:11 am #

I don’t know if you remember the old vaccum’s that were all an all metal front. I don’t remember the brand, but they were great for riding. I may have been an odd child for doing that! But it was fun!

5. Diane@BeStillaMinute September 10, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I’m a joker, I’m a smoker, I’m a midnight toker…I get my lovin’ on the run. LOVE me some Steve Miller Band!

And one must always sing along with Journey. ;)

• Jenn I Am! September 10, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Diane, I agree with both those statements!

6. Kate September 10, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Beautiful listicle. I have Faithfully on my list too…or rather my husband does. :-)

• Jenn I Am! September 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm #

Nice! It’s a great song!

• Jenn I Am! September 11, 2012 at 6:54 am #

Kate, Faithfully is a great song! Your husband blogs too?

7. duckyh September 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

We built this city….oh man! How that takes me back! What an awesome list. Every single one is perfect, isn\’t it?! I love how deeply music speaks to all facets of life! Great list.

• Jenn I Am! September 11, 2012 at 6:56 am #

I can’t wait to tell my story through music even more as my years go on! We Built This City seems to be the one some people tend to forget. Not me though!

8. Jill September 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

You got me at Faithfully! Great list and memories!

• Jenn I Am! September 11, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Jill, I’m glad that you think my memories and list are great! It means a lot to me! :)

9. Kimberly Choquette Pugliano September 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

“My Favorite Things” I used to sing that while I washed dishes as a kid. I always have and still do love that song.

• Jenn I Am! September 11, 2012 at 6:57 am #

Kim, Do you still sing while you do the dishes? If so, what song now-a-days? ;P

10. Audrey September 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

What a great list with some amazing memories!

11. Stasha September 13, 2012 at 1:31 am #

So you think some Jefferson Starship will get my kid in the mood to tidy up too? Must try.
    Love the Joker. It is in my head now. great list, welcome to the gang!

• Jenn I Am! September 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

It might! If you try it let me know how it turns out! Thanks for the welcome.